CM Punk’s WWE absence may not be about drama at all. It sounds like the company is waiting for the right creative direction before bringing him back.
False Finish reported that Punk’s absence from television is due to a “schedule change.” Sources told the outlet that Punk is currently waiting on creative before returning to WWE TV.
According to the report, Punk’s schedule and creative plans were shifted after WWE moved Gunther to SmackDown and brought Jacob Fatu to RAW for a feud with Roman Reigns.
“CM Punk being absent from TV is due to a “schedule change”. Sources tell False Finish that CM Punk is currently awaiting creative to return to WWE TV. Punk’s schedule and creative were shifted after WWE made the decision to move Gunther to SmackDown along with bringing Jacob Fatu to RAW to feud with Roman Reigns.”
That lines up with earlier reporting from Dave Meltzer, who noted that Punk had been removed from several June RAW dates and the European tour, but WWE sources insisted there was nothing more to it than a schedule change.
“Punk has been removed from the advertising from the European tour and several other Raw dates in June. We were told there is nothing more to this than a schedule change.”
WrestleVotes had also suggested that the Second City Saint’s absence from television was expected to be extended, but that WWE still plans to have him back in time for SummerSlam season.
“It felt like it was going to be a bit of an extended stay. He’ll be back for SummerSlam. He’ll be on the marquee in some form or fashion—on every poster for downtown Minneapolis in 6–8 weeks. Maybe July 18th, Saturday Night’s Main Event at Madison Square Garden.”
Punk last appeared on WWE television after the April 20 episode of RAW, and his removal from advertising for the European Summer Tour quickly sparked speculation. He was also absent from Backlash despite rumors tying him to Danhausen and the mystery partner angle.
For now, the latest update points to WWE changing plans after major roster moves affected the creative landscape. Punk is still expected back, but the company appears to be waiting until there is a clear storyline ready for him.
Do you think WWE should save CM Punk’s return for Saturday Night’s Main Event at Madison Square Garden, or bring him back sooner? Share your thoughts and feedback in the comments.