William Regal’s contributions to the pro wrestling world are always a topic of discussion for a good reason. Lord Regal was released from his WWE contract on January 5, 2022, which was a shock for many fans. Despite his current contract with AEW, his WWE return still seems to be in play.
William Regal made his AEW debut at the promotion’s Revolution pay-per-view event on March 6 of this year. As previously reported, William Regal signed a 3-year deal with AEW, so he still has plenty of time left on his contract.
While speaking on Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer went into detail regarding William Regal’s contract. Meltzer noted that Regal’s WWE return is still in play despite his 3-year contract.
“William Regal when he signed, which was only in April or May, said that he signed for three years. Now, something is going on but I’m not sure of all of the details.
Actually I’ve been told a lot of stuff but most of it was off the record. But the basic gist of the situation is I don’t know what he’s doing as far as if he’s going (to WWE), if he’s staying (with AEW).
But I do know that it is something that has been talked about, so either, there’s something in the contract… because a three-year deal, Tony Khan has not let anyone out early so far. That doesn’t mean he never will, but I don’t know what the situation is.
But there were people who were talking about how there’s stuff being talked about, but I don’t know exactly what it is – I don’t know if he’s staying, I don’t know if he’s going.
The rumors have been out, even before Wednesday’s show. The thing on Wednesday’s show was just an angle, but there had been talk of that from very early on.
The fact that he said he was signed for three years, that doesn’t mean I’m saying… because some people are like, ‘Oh that means he’s for sure not leaving and there’s no story here’ – there’s something going on.
But there’s no guarantee he’s leaving, there’s no guarantee he’s staying, there’s no guarantee he’s not staying. As far as how this all works, as far as the contract situation, with Tony and everything like that, I’m not aware of that.
But I do know that there’s… it’s something that’s in play. But he said his contract is three years, so in theory, that would tell you that he couldn’t do anything until April 2025. So that’s basically what I know, – what I can say, put it that way.”
Since Triple H took over WWE, quite a few previously released talent have made their way back to the company in the past few months. We will have to wait and see whether Regal will end up in WWE in the future or not.
What’s your take on this story? Sound off in the comments!