WWE instituted their collegiate NIL program, “Next In Line,” with an eye on finding young, athletic talent and good looks that they can mold into superstars. Triple H had said that it is a perfect opportunity for those who aren’t able to continue their professional careers in other sports. Now, a tryout that featured those hopeful Superstars of tomorrow resulted in a few terrible injuries.

Since last year, WWE moved away from recruiting indie wrestlers, because they are looking for cross-over athletes they can train hopeful Superstars. WWE recently held their first set of tryouts in Nashville ahead of SummerSlam.

While speaking on Wrestling Observer Live, Bryan Alvarez revealed that the most recent NIL tryouts were a disaster as they resulted in quite a few injuries. That being said, WWE is likely moving away from the zero indie wrestler mandate from now on.

The word is this is the last time that this is going to happen. They are not getting rid of the NIL program, but the idea of the NIL program — the point of this is that there were a lot of injuries at this set of tryouts. Concussions, there were a lot of people who got hurt. It was the blind leading the blind. It looks like the days of all college athletes trying to get deals with no indie wrestlers is over.

I heard a lot of injuries and a lot of them, quite frankly, sucked. I don’t want to put a lot of words in people’s mouths, but the last I heard was that it was a disaster.”

It is certainly unfortunate that so many injuries took place during the latest set of NIL tryouts. Regardless, WWE is likely to change up the entire program in the future.

Transcription by Ringside News

What’s your take on this story? Sound off in the comments!

Tags: WWE Featured
Subhojeet Mukherjee

Subhojeet has been a massive fan of professional wrestling for over 22 years, since the early days of the Monday Night Wars. Aside from wrestling, he also is into TV shows, movies, Anime, novels and a lot of music.

Disqus Comments Loading...