Karrion Kross was one of several WWE wrestlers released in the most recent round of talent cuts. He appears to be doing just fine, recently taking his first post-WWE booking with fiancé Scarlett Bordeaux. His final days in WWE weren’t so idyllic, however.
On the most recent episode of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer spoke about how WWE used Kross in his final days with the company. He said that Vince McMahon didn’t like the new gimmick the promotion came up with for Kross. The decision was made then to remove him from television.
“He had been quietly taken off TV, whatever it was a week or two ago. After the last time we saw him on TV, Vince McMahon made the call that we’re gonna take him off TV, you know where he’s doing that Demolition helmet deal that was stupid. He said this isn’t working, we need to take him off TV, we need to take him off, same with Keith Lee, we need to take him off and give him a new look. That was why I was surprised he was cut, because they were going to bring him back with a new look.”
The original plan was to once again repackage Karrion Kross. Obviously, the plan never came to fruition as Kross was released on November 4, 2021. Over a dozen NXT and main roster WWE superstars were let go in the alleged cost-cutting maneuver. Kross and Scarlett didn’t make the final cut, and they are now independent.
Kross is a former two-time NXT champion. He’s also appeared in Impact and was a big name on the independent scene before signing with WWE. After his initial success in NXT, he never clicked on the main roster. Now, he gets to reinvent himself in his own image, not one WWE came up with for him.
Despite the fact that he will almost be guaranteed a job with a major promotion when he’s able to work again, Kross was devastated by the news of his release. Now, he will have time to regroup as he takes independent bookings. Fans are excited to see where he’ll end up next.
Please credit Ringside News for the transcription if you use the quote from this article.