WWE made the call to cut a dozen wrestlers and one referee from NXT last week. This was a big shot to the black and gold brand as Vince McMahon’s new vision was brought forward. He doesn’t want shorter guys under thirty, and that called for many cuts. Many more could be to come, but Triple H has zero say in those firings. He was also reportedly blamed for losing the Wednesday Night War with AEW, something that also encouraged these firings.
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter noted that Triple H and Shawn Michaels were completely unaware of the cuts being handed down to NXT. In fact, they were not told about the firings until after Johnny Ace started making calls to inform members of the roster that they were out of a job.
Those in NXT said that not only did Paul Levesque, who runs NXT, nor Shawn Michaels have a say in the cuts, but they weren’t even aware of them until after Laurinaitis started calling the talent.
More cuts could be on the way at this point, and we will continue monitoring this situation. NXT is supposed to be returning to the days when the brand was full of younger wrestlers who could main event WrestleMania some day, prior to the company raiding the indie wrestling scene. This could also send some very talented free agents out into the pro wrestling world once again.
What’s your take on this story? Sound off in the comments!