Ludwig Kaiser is gearing up for a courtroom fight in his Florida battery case, because new court filings obtained by Ringside News show the WWE star has requested a trial while his legal team pushes deeper into the evidence tied to the case.
Fresh Orange County filings reveal Kaiser — whose real name is Marcel Barthel — is now being represented by Orlando attorney Thomas D. Sommerville as the misdemeanor battery case moves forward. The newly obtained filing states:
“The Defendant requests a Trial of the said charges.”
The court documents also confirm Barthel filed a written plea of not guilty while waiving arraignment, allowing the case to move forward without requiring him to appear in court for the standard arraignment hearing.
At the same time, Kaiser’s legal team filed a Notice of Intent to Participate in Discovery, signaling the defense intends to dig through the evidence prosecutors have connected to the case.
The discovery filing seeks access to a wide range of investigative materials, including witness statements, police reports, surveillance footage, alleged statements, forensic testing, expert reports, and physical evidence. One portion of the filing specifically requests:
“all police and investigative reports of any kind prepared for or in connection with the case.”
The latest legal developments come after Ringside News previously obtained court records showing Barthel turned himself in on May 20 after an active arrest warrant had been issued in Orange County, Florida. He was booked on a misdemeanor battery charge before later posting $1,000 bond.
The underlying case stems from an alleged incident police say took place on April 23 at the Paramount on Lake Eola Apartments in Orlando. According to previously obtained documents, investigators said probable cause was established through witness statements, surveillance footage, visible injuries, and a photo lineup identification.
Kaiser has continued appearing on WWE television under the masked El Grande Americano character while the legal situation unfolds outside the ring. WWE has not publicly commented on the case or addressed whether his television role could change moving forward.
The newly obtained filings make it clear Kaiser is not quietly moving through the legal process. Between the not guilty plea, the trial request, and the defense seeking access to evidence, the case is now entering a much more serious phase as more details could emerge in future court proceedings.
Do you think WWE should continue featuring Ludwig Kaiser on television while he fights the battery charge, or should the company pull him from programming until the case is resolved? Let us know your thoughts and leave your feedback in the comments.