Samuray Del Sol (formerly known as Kalisto in WWE) recently revealed that he had a near-death experience with COVID-19 in August 2021.

After being released by WWE in April 2021, Del Sol was eager to get back to work and start hustling. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 virus hit him hard, and he ended up hospitalized for a month.

In a recent interview with Renee Paquette on the Sessions, Del Sol opened up about his experience. He shared that he didn’t want to pay the hospital bill and waited for two weeks before seeking medical attention. He became delusional, and his brain was fried. He was coughing up blood and had a fever that wouldn’t go down. He even passed out a few times and hit his head. His heart stopped beating, and he had to be revived three times.

“After getting released from WWE, I was like, ‘I’m going to get back on the grind, I’m motivated,’ [COVID] just hit me out of nowhere. I waited two weeks because I didn’t want to pay a damn hospital bill. That was my mistake because I was starting to be delusional. My brain was fried. My wife was sick, but not as sick as me. My fever wouldn’t go down, I was coughing up blood every day for two weeks. I guess I passed out a couple of times and hit my head. I was white. I didn’t tell anybody, not even my parents. They were pissed off.”


Del Sol’s wife was with him throughout his hospital stay, and he credits her with saving his life. She refused to let the doctors put him in a coma, as she believed he wouldn’t come back. Del Sol stayed in the ER for two and a half months, and his heart kept stopping, which was scary because he was alone. Only a few people knew about his condition.

“I don’t like showing my medical history to the world and I don’t want any sympathy. I’m a private person. I can take care of myself and do this. It scared the shit out of me. In the hospital, they were going to put me in a coma, but my wife said no. ‘He’s not going to come back. He’s going to die.’ My heart stopped beating, they needed to revive me. My heart stopped and kicked back. It was like three times. I was in and out with that. I was super tired and just wanted to sleep. From what my wife was telling me, it was really bad. I ended up staying in the ER for two and a half months. I was on close watch because my heart kept stopping. It was scary because I was alone. Only a few people knew.”

When Del Sol was finally released from the hospital, he felt grateful to be alive. He cried when he brushed his teeth and couldn’t believe he made it through. He thought he was set for retirement and didn’t think he had the lung power to continue wrestling. He tried walking outside and couldn’t breathe. He had developed blood clots in his lungs, high blood pressure, and almost had diabetes on top of that. It was a life scare.

Three weeks after being released from the hospital, Del Sol received a call from Tony Khan, who offered him a match against FTR (Dax Harwood & Cash Wheeler) in AEW. Del Sol was excited but also scared. He went to the bathroom and started crying. He was worried he wouldn’t be able to do it, but he decided to take the risk.

“In my mind, I was already set for retirement. ‘I don’t think I have the lung power.’ I tried walking outside and I couldn’t breathe. I had light asthma and this was like, oh man, I developed blood clots in my lung, my high blood pressure, I almost has diabetes on top of that. It was a life scare. Once I got out of the hospital, three weeks later, my phone rings. It’s Tony Khan. We talked and he offered me a match with FTR (Dax Harwood & Cash Wheeler). I’m excited, I’m not even thinking of being sick. I hung up, looked at my wife, ‘what the hell did I just do?’ I went to the bathroom and started bawling. ‘Can I do this? I’m going to roll the dice on this. Baby, you need to support me on this.’ She was kind of mad. ‘No, your heart. You need to stop. This is a sign.’ No, this is a sign too. My first major injury back in 2011, I messed up my head really bad and I had the same scenario. I had a drink and WWE called me for a tryout. Let’s keep going.”

Del Sol teamed with Aero Star to face FTR on the November 3, 2021 episode of AEW Dynamite. He was still on an oxygen machine at the time and was worried he might have a heart attack during the match. He told FTR, “If I have a heart attack, just roll me underneath the ring.” Despite his fears, Del Sol was able to get through the match with the help of coffee, pre-workout, and CBD.

“I had to tell FTR. I worked with them for a long time. They took care of me. They’re the best. I’m forever grateful for them. I told them, ‘If I have a heart attack, just roll me underneath the ring.’ I didn’t tell anybody. That’s why I felt so emotional.”

Del Sol was grateful he was able to finish the match, but the bout was clouded by his post-match tweet to Jon Huber where he misspelled his name. Del Sol said his emotions got the better of him, and he was depressed after the fallout.

Del Sol remains active on the independent scene and in Japan. His experience with COVID-19 was a wake-up call for him, and he now takes his health seriously. Del Sol encourages others to take the virus seriously and to get vaccinated to protect themselves and others.

What do you think of Del Sol’s experience with COVID-19 and his decision to return to wrestling despite his health concerns? Do you agree with his decision, or do you think he should have prioritized his health over his career? Leave a comment.

Steve Carrier

Steve is the Founder of RingsideNews. He has been writing about professional wrestling since 1996. He first got into website development at the time and has been focusing on bringing his readers the best professional wrestling news at it's highest quality.

Disqus Comments Loading...