WWE had a lot of pressure on them to cancel the Crown Jewel event — but it won’t happen. They recently announced that the show will not only carry on in the planned location, but the timing of the event won’t change either as we previously reported they were considering.
The company’s full reasoning for keeping the event as scheduled was released in their WWE Reports Q3 2018 Results.
“WWE has operated in the Middle East for nearly 20 years and has developed a sizable and dedicated fan base. Considering the heinous crime committed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Company faced a very difficult decision as it related to its event scheduled for November 2 in Riyadh. Similar to other US-based companies who plan to continue operations in Saudi Arabia, the Company has decided to uphold its contractual obligations to the General Sports Authority and stage the event. Full year 2018 guidance is predicated on the staging of the Riyadh event as scheduled.”
So it looks like WWE is going to carry on as scheduled and the event will happen in 8 days in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. This, of course, won’t come without some fans being very upset about it and we still don’t have a definite answer about what will happen with John Cena and Daniel Bryan who have both reportedly said they won’t go. WWE creative was even told Cena wasn’t going and they carried on with plugging him for the World Cup Tournament.
But it looks like their bottom line was dependant on running this big Saudi Arabian show as the next 10 years of the company seems to be locked up in going to Saudi at least a couple times a year to be used as a propaganda tool.
— Brad Shepard (@TheBradShepard) October 25, 2018
— Chris Harrington (@mookieghana) October 25, 2018