MJF has been one of the more popular stars in AEW since the company’s incarnation. Ever since his infamous promo on Tony Khan, his contract, and the company back in May, he went completely quiet. That is unusual for him.
According to Sean Sapp behind Fightful’s paywall, they tried reaching out to AEW regarding MJF’s whereabouts, and he has not been in communication whatsoever. The situation is very interesting, to say the least.
We have followed up numerous times about where MJF has been since his post-Double or Nothing promo on AEW Dynamite. We’ve not heard from a single AEW talent or staffer that has admitted to hearing from him since then, and even plenty of people who have worked with him or are close to him have said that he’s not communicated with them whatsoever.
We did confirm that after the promo on June 1, he remained in Los Angeles for several days conducting on-screen, non-wrestling related meetings. There was word last week that he was in New Jersey filming with cast members of Impractical Jokers, which is on TruTV, a Warner Bros. Discovery station. We’ve not confirmed if it’s for that show or just with cast members.
Everyone that we’ve spoken to says that they’ve not overheard Tony Khan speak about MJF whatsoever since the June 1 promo. So far we haven’t heard of anyone in wrestling that has said that they’ve even spoken to MJF since he left, either.
There are still some within the company that are of the belief that MJF is on his way out of the company, and wants to go to WWE. However, that isn’t based on any information gained since the actual promo.
Ringside News will monitor the ongoing situation between MJF and AEW regarding his contract renewal. It’s disappointing that Friedman has gone radio silent for months now. Hopefully, he’ll be in a great place with his career sooner rather than later.
What’s your take on this story? Sound off in the comments!