WWE and AEW’s Wednesday Night War started in October 2019 as AEW Dynamite and NXT went head-to-head every week in order to see who would come out the better show. AEW Dynamite would win in the ratings war for the majority of the time. The Wars finally came to an end in April last year after NXT moved to Tuesday nights. People like Jim Ross believed it was cop-out.
For 76 weeks the war between the two brands raged on and only on one occasion did AEW lose in the key 18-49 demographic rating against NXT. This was seen as a shock to many but AEW bounced back.
Triple H was said to have been blamed for NXT losing the Wednesday Night Wars. While speaking with Ariel Helwani for BT Sport, Triple H denied that he was punished for AEW beating NXT.
“People put so much pressure on all this competitive war, but it never was that. They beat our developmental system. Good for them.”
“It WS never that. here was never even a pressure of ‘you have to beat that.’ It was put on the best product we could. It shifted over time. During the pandemic, it shifted over time.”
AEW has certainly changed a lot since last year and the same can be said for WWE now that Triple H is in charge of WWE Creative. We’ll have to see how WWE will change in the coming weeks.
What’s your take on what Triple H said? Sound off in the comments!