Mike Johnson of PWInsider has just confirmed that Fite TV has closed a deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling to stream the Wrestle Kingdom 13 show- which will take place from the Tokyo Dome in Japan, on their Fite TV platform.
The deal between the two parties was completed this week, and an official announcement from both parties will likely be released tomorrow. This is massive news for both parties, as the Fite TV exposure can introduce many international fans to the NJPW product.
The plan, as it stands, is for the show to air live at 3 am EST in both Japanese and English on January 4, priced at $34.99. Users familiar with the Fite TV app will already know that the show will be available on the various platforms and devices they own and operate. The show will also subsequently be available for VOD replays.
So far, the announced matches include:
- IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kenny Omega (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
- IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Taiji Ishimori
- Revolution Pro British Heavyweight Championship: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado (c) vs. Roppongi 3K vs. BUSHI & Shingo
There are more matches expected to take place, though these will all likely be confirmed within the next few weeks. If the show does well on Fite TV, the likelihood that fans will see future NJPW shows live on Fite TV will grow.
The only other time Fite TV has dealt with the Wrestle Kingdom shows was back in 2009. This was before NJPW really blew up in popularity, and the version Fite TV was involved in was the GFW syndicated version. This was much different. Additionally, Fite TV was a shell of what it would become, at that stage.
Will you be watching on Fite? Does NJPW interest you? Let us know your thoughts, opinions, and reactions in those comments below.