Michael Gregory “Mike” Mizanin is an American professional wrestler, reality television star, and actor. He is signed to WWE’s SmackDown under the ring name The Miz.
Mizanin first gained fame as a cast member on MTV’s The Real World: Back to New York and its spinoff series, Real World/Road Rules Challenge in 2001. He later entered the fourth season of Tough Enough, a televised competition which awarded the winner a WWE contract.He became the first runner-up. Mizanin trained and wrestled in independent/developmental territories Ultimate Pro Wrestling (UPW), Deep South Wrestling (DSW), and Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW) prior to appearing in WWE.
Mizanin became host of the annual WWE Diva Search competition in 2006. Following his hosting duties, Mizanin made his wrestling debut in September 2006 as a villain who went undefeated for three months. His streak ended when he was defeated by The Boogeyman at Armageddon. In 2007, Mizanin was drafted from SmackDown! to the ECW brand. He became by partnering with John Morrison and would go on to win both the WWE Tag Team Championship and World Tag Team Championship.
Mizanin was then drafted to the Raw brand as part of the 2009 WWE draft, where he won the United States Championship that year. In 2010, he won the unified tag team titles with Big Show, had a second reign with the United States title, and won the Raw Money in the Bank ladder match for a guaranteed WWE Championship match. He cashed it in during November 2010 on Randy Orton to win the WWE Championship, which he went on to hold for six months, including a successful defense against John Cena in the main event of 2011’s WrestleMania XXVII. That year, he also won the WWE Tag Team Championship with Cena during their feud, and was ranked number one on Pro Wrestling Illustrated’s annual PWI 500 list. Mizanin largely dropped out of world title contention after 2011. The period of 2012 to 2016 has been marked by him winning the Intercontinental Championship six times and the WWE Tag Team Championship once with Damien Mizdow.
In total, Mizanin has won 15 championships in WWE and is the 25th Triple Crown Champion, the 14th Grand Slam Champion, and (along with John Morrison) won the 2008 Tag Team of the Year Slammy Award. He has main-evented several pay-per-views for WWE, including WrestleMania XXVII.
In 2014 he married his long-time girlfriend, model, actress, and two-time Divas Champion Maryse Ouellet.
Articles with The Miz
- 10 Exciting New Feuds Made Possible by The Superstar Shake-Up
- Predicting Shinsuke Nakamura's First 3 Opponents
- Five Wrestlers Who Should Be Champion In 2017
- 5 Celebrity Matches We Need To See
- The Face of Fear Is Now The Face of WWE
- 6 Reasons to Be Excited for the Elimination Chamber Match
- Best WWE Intercontinental Champions of the 2010s
- How Dolph Ziggler’s Heel Turn Benefits Smackdown Live
- 5 Unassuming Superstars (With Hall of Fame Worthy Careers)
- WWE: 5 Best Upset Victories in Recent History
- The Most Important Match At Survivor Series Is For The Intercontinental Championship
- Samoa Joe: Time for the Main Roster
- Will Daniel Bryan Return to the Ring in the WWE?
- Filling Out the Rest of No Mercy
- Smackdown Hits A Grand Slam With Backlash