Lately there has been a lot of debate over the status of the mid card titles. In this blog I would like to focus on the US Title. Right now the US title is essentially sitting on the shelf. Santino doesn’t really defend it but seeing as the WWE wants to have the belt out there someone has to carry it. But what if there was a change in plans, what if WWE put focus on all the belts. This gets a bit difficult to explain though. I don’t think that the WWE title and the US title are on the same level, but if they could put this title back to the level it once held.
I want to discuss 5 potential people to carry this title and maybe give it some worth again.
5. Wade Barrett: I know he is slated to jump in the upper card level when he returns. He was rumoured to be slated to win MITB but his injury rehab took longer than he expected. A brief stint as US champ may give him a boost on his return and at the same time put the belt on a new person while some of the younger talent are getting molded.
4. Antonio Cesaro: Antonio has recently beaten Santino on more hand one occasion; I think as a heel he could bring heat to this title. Some of the best champions of the mid-card titles have been heels that would be antagonistic about having that title. An example of this was when D-Lo Brown held the European Title and then every week he would be listed as being from a different country. If a Cesaro anon- American were to hold the US title and hold the mentality of being better than Americans it would bring that heat to the person and allow fans to want to see someone go after him. I get Santino is not American and holds this title but being as he is a comic wrestler this style wouldn’t work for him now.
3. Evan Bourne: If this injury prone, partier can get back on his feet he could also use a boost getting his career on track. He really needs to go back to solo work because as a small high flyer it’s hard to get noticed when you are paired with another high flyer.
2. Damien Sandow. I still feel he is a good candidate to hold this title and it could come sooner than later. Damien’s persona would grow so much more if he was holding a title where he could say he was responsible for bringing prestige to the title.
1. Jack Swagger. Ok let’s face it Jack Swagger is getting the Zack Ryder treatment these days, he has been completely buried over the past couple months. I get his WHC title run was not good; however he was believable as a US champion. I mean he is the all American, American, American.
I get Jack is awful on the microphone and isn’t helped by his lisp. I think when he was paired with Vickie he gained the advantage of not having to speak. Now that the Vickie angle is over Jack is floating around in limbo. Maybe a new manager would be what he needs. Could a business deal with All World Promotions give Jack the voice he needs t back the muscle and intensity he already has.